Project Blackburn Skua L2896 Green “A”
The wreck of Blackburn Skua L2896 “A” was found at a depth of 240 metres in Trondheim Fjord in 2007 and was raised in 2008.
The aircraft was shot down on 13 June 1940 after an attack on the Scharnhorst, which was lying in the port of Trondheim (”Black Thursday”). On board were Lt Cdr John Casson og Lt Peter Fanshawe. Both survived, but spent the rest of the war in captivity.
The Blackburn Skua was one of the most important British aircraft that took part in the battles in Norway in 1940, during the Second World War.
Raising and restoration
In 2008, the wreckage was raised from Trondheim Fjord. The raising was a cooperative effort between the Norwegian Aviation Museum, Bodø Aviation Historical Society, the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) – Department of Marine Technology (Trondheim), Sperre AS (Notodden) – ROV operation, and tugboat company Taubåtkompaniet AS (Trondheim).
Several parts fell off during the raising of the aircraft, but in 2011 and 2012 the engine, a Bristol Perseus X11 and several other components including bits of the rear cockpit area, were also recovered. We shall, whenever the opportunity presents itself, continue to search for the parts.
Until now there has only been one aircraft – a wreck – which is on display in the Fleet Air Arm Museum in England. The Norwegian Aviation Museum already has a large collection of parts, including a fully restored engine from Skua L2903 and a cockpit, which are on display in the exhibition.
Because the museum’s other projects are consuming the workshop capacity and money and there is a shortage of collaborative partners, the restoration of the Skua does not have high priority. Nonetheless, the rebuilding is proceeding slowly but surely.