Dutch two-seater fighter Aircraft.
The Fokker C.V is a two-seater biplane built by Anthony Fokker. It was launched in 1924. It was the world’s first multi-role military aircraft and it could be adapted to any military task by changing the upper wings and/or engine. The plane became a great export success and was sold to, or produced under licence in, a dozen countries including Norway. Altogether more than 850 of these aircraft were built. The plane’s popularity was due mainly to it being easy to maintain and very versatile. Two types of standard upper wings were produced. With the 41-foot “D” wing the aircraft could be used as a fighter, reconnaissance plane or for artillery observation. With the 50-foot “E” wing the aircraft could be adapted for reconnaissance or bombing missions.
The Army Air Force bought five Fokker C.V-Es in 1927. The purchase also included rights to produce a further 42 aircraft under licence. By 1939, 15 C.V-Es and 27 C.V-Ds had been built by the Kjeller aircraft factory. After 1934 the C.V-D was fitted with more powerful Armstrong Panther engines, built under licence in Norway. On 9 April 1940 forty Fokker C.Vs were still intact. They were used for reconnaissance and light transport during combat operations, especially in North Norway.
The Royal Norwegian Air Force Museum’s Fokker C.V-D “349” was Works number 133 at the Kjeller aircraft factory and was completed in 1931. The aircraft belonged to the flying school at Kjeller and took part in the battles in South Norway in 1940. The aircraft carried out a number of reconnaissance sorties then, mainly in the morning and evening when the faster German aircraft were not so active. Fokker 349 was evacuated to Sweden on 15 April 1940, where it was taken over by the Swedish authorities. In 1942, the aircraft was given the civil registration SE-ALS. In 1949, the plane was presented to the RNoAF as a gift, flown home to Norway, restored and gradually returned to its original appearance.
The fuselage and wings are a dark green colour. The upper and lower surfaces of the wings carry bands in national colours, as does the rudder, which is also marked C.V.D/450 JUP. The registration number is painted in white on each side of the fuselage. The engine cowling is in polished aluminium.
- Roar Glenne: Oppdrag Utført, Norges luftmilitære kulturarv
- NFF-Kontakt 4/1980: Fokker CV
- Jane’s: All the World’s Aircraft of 1933
- McNally: Encyclopedia of Military Aircraft